Friday, June 8, 2012

Whole 30 Day 2

When I woke up this morning, I was just not hungry, so I worked at home entering Excel data and drank some loose leaf oolong tea. Perhaps my big dinner and snack of cherries at the movie was carrying over. I went to the drive-in with my sweetie and saw back-to-back Men in Black 3 and Dark Shadows. I wanted to see Dark Shadows the most because I love Gothic, vampire-themed movies and books. For me, it started out really interesting, but by the end I just thought the plot became too jammed with details on some of the characters. There were also dull lulls every so often. I don't want to ruin the movie for those who haven't seen it, but I was a little disappointed. Men in Black surprised me! I wasn't the primary movie I wanted to see, but I thought it did a good job of wrapping up the whole series and I enjoyed the comedy.

For my late breakfast, I had 2 soft boiled eggs, half of a small (and unfortunately slightly under ripe) avocado, a handful of each blueberries and blackberries, and 3 nice-sized strawberries. On the side was more loose leaf oolong tea. This is the first time I made soft-boiled eggs since moving to Texas (a year and a half ago!) but for some reason they sounded nice...something different from my usual over easy or scrambled eggs. I think I should try poached eggs...it's been years since my last messy attempt. Maybe perfecting poached eggs should be part of my Whole 30 challenge!


I have been trying to choose fruits that are low in total metabolic fructose, which is a combination of the amount of fructose and sucrose (which splits into glucose and fructose during digestion). I am choosing fruits low in total metabolic fructose because there is a conversion pathway in our bodies that converts fructose to glycogen, a stored carbohydrate source, however excess fructose is converted  to triglycerides. I would much rather not pump out a bunch of triglycerides, rather I would like to build into my glycogen stores. Once glycogen in the liver is replenished, then the triglyceride pathway kicks in. Studies show that excess fructose can lead to insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome, so watching your fructose consumption is important. Some of the best fruit choices for low to moderate total metabolic fructose include: tomatoes, lemons, limes, avocado, stone fruits (peaches, apricots, etc...), berries, kiwi, and cantaloupe.

I ate a late breakfast so I also ate a late lunch. I felt quite hungry, however I could only eat about 1/3 of my salad and about 3/4 of the leftover beef with balsamic mushrooms. The salad had the rest of the dressing leftover from yesterday on it with lettuce, tomato, half an avocado, some black olives, and purple cabbage. I saved both of them for later. I felt quite satisfied after this meal, but I wanted some chocolate really badly. Not gonna do it! A few hours later, and about an hour before my workout, I had some unsweetened coconut flakes...about 3 big pinches. They're full of good fat and fiber, so it's hard to overeat them and they satisfy my urge to nibble!



After my workout, of course I was really hungry. I stopped by the store and got some shrimp and sweet potatoes, because that's what sounded good to me! I cubed and roasted the sweet potatoes with cumin and cinnamon. The shrimp were seasoned with my Homemade Salt-Free Old Bay-Style Seasoning. While I was cooking I ate a couple of pickles because I was so hungry. I don't normally snack while I cook, but pickles (the cold-pack kind) with no sugar in the brine are pretty benign, in my opinion. Luckily I broke the habit of tasting everything while I cook until the end, otherwise I could see myself overeating easily. I also had the rest of my salad that was leftover from lunch.


Day 2 wasn't too tough at all. I have a lot of leftovers to carry over for the weekend: roasted broccoli, sweet potatoes, beef with balsamic mushrooms, and some shrimp. Leftovers seem like the key to succeed, so I'm prepared!

28 days to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails