Classes are about to start again, so my mind is already on fall, which is my favorite season. I can't wait to get my boots and sweaters out to wear again. I've also been thinking of my favorite fall foods, like pumpkin and butternut squash. In my pre-wheat belly days, one of my favorite uses for squash or pumpkin was a pasta sauce. It was my low-fat alternative to fettuccine alfredo. I thought of that recipe the other day, and while I won't eat the pasta part now, I didn't want to lose out on the delicious sauce recipe. Therefore I transformed it into a creamy, dairy-free soup that is even vegan. I have made several butternut squash soups on this blog before, but just some small alterations can totally transform a recipe. I love the pungent garlic with the sweet squash. This is a perfect autumn meal with a nice salad on the side or would make a great starter for a formal meal, such as with Thanksgiving dinner. Actually, because of the garlic and orange color I think it would be great for a themed Halloween menu...vampire-fighting butternut squash soup!
Creamy Roasted Garlic and Butternut Squash Soup
1 3-lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed into 3/4" pieces
4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
8-10 sprigs of fresh thyme
1/4 cup olive oil
32 oz broth, either chicken or vegetable, preferably homemade
1/2 cup well-shaken canned coconut milk
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Toss the butternut squash, garlic, and thyme with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and place on a baking tray (lined with foil for easier clean-up). Roast for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the squash is soft and beginning to brown.
3. Puree the squash in a food processor or blender, adding enough broth to allow the squash to puree. Transfer to a stock pot or large saucepan. Alternatively, you can place the squash in your stock pot and add some of the broth and puree with an immersion blender.
4. Add the broth, coconut milk, and nutmeg. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Taste for seasoning, and serve once the soup is warm.
- Servings per recipe: 4 main course servings
- Per serving:
- Calories: 272.4
- Fat: 15.5 g
- Saturated fat: 1.8 g
- Cholesterol: 5 mg
- Sodium: 196.5 mg
- Carbohydrate: 35.1 g
- Fiber: 9.1 g
- Sugars: 1 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
Labels: butternut squash, coconut, Paleo, Primal, soup, vegan, vegetarian