Thursday, August 16, 2012

Primal Yellow Summer Squash Pizza Crust


The other day I got some summer squash for free from the greenhouse at work. They were kind of pithy in the middle and the skin on the outside was tough, so I didn't want to just saute them. I remembered some great veggie-based pizza crusts from the blog Your Lighter Side, so I headed over to that website and tried to find something adaptable to squash. I found a zucchini pizza crust recipe, which was perfect. I just subbed in the squash, altered the proportions, and added some herbs for flavor, and it tasted great! Granted, it wasn't firm enough to hold up a slice of pizza, but it had great cheese flavor. It sort of tasted like a casserole to me, and baked even thicker it would be a great pasta substitute too.

I used a really fantastic organic mozzarella cheese from Organic Creamery for this recipe. It was pretty pricey, but luckily I had a store coupon. I don't know if it's because it was made with organic milk or perhaps better technique than your standard mozzarella, but this was the best mozz I have ever had in my life! It wasn't like a rubber ball the way most conventional mozz is, and, surprisingly, it had a lot of flavor! I thought mozzarella was just bland, but this reminded me of havarti cheese. Plus, it was super creamy---so creamy in fact that when I was washing the dishes, any bits of mozzarella left in the mixing bowl melted with just the heat of the tap water. I was concerned the creaminess would make it difficult to grate, so I put it in the freezer for about 30 min and it grated pretty well. I think it wouldn't have hurt to have gone for 45 min in the freezer, because the heat from the food processor made the last little piece too creamy to grate. I also think it would have been better to cook on parchment than on foil, because I had a little sticking despite having greased the pan a lot.


Primal Yellow Summer Squash Pizza Crust
Printable Recipe

1 medium yellow summer squash
1 cup grated mozzarella, preferably organic
1 egg, preferably cage-free, beaten
1/4 tsp dried oregano
pinch of salt and pepper
oil of choice, for greasing

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Line a pizza pan or baking sheet with parchment paper (can put foil underneath for easy cleanup) and grease with about 1 tbsp of oil.
3. Grate the squash on the coarse side of a box grater or food processor. Place the grate squash in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out the excess moisture until you are left with about 1 cup of squash. Add it to a medium mixing bowl along with the cheese, egg, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
4. Spread the squash mixture onto the pizza pan and evenly press out until you have a disk about 14" across. Make sure the edges are smooth.
5. Bake the crust for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Remove from oven and top as desired.

For the toppings: add sauce, meats, and vegetables of your choice. Reduce oven temperature to 350, then bake for 8 min. Remove the pizza, top with cheese, them place about 8" from the broiler and broil until the cheese is browned and bubbly and the toppings are cooked and lightly browned.

  • Servings per recipe: 8 (1 slice each)
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 63.8
  • Fat: 4.6 g
  • Saturated fat: 1.9 g
  • Cholesterol: 31.3 mg
  • Sodium: 94.7 mg
  • Carbohydrate: 1.3 g
  • Fiber: 0.3 g
  • Sugars: 0.5 g
  • Protein: 4.5 g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails