Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Mushroom Series: Primal Mushroom "Caulisotto"


I am finally giving myself some time to get back to blogging after having been incredibly busy for the last few weeks. It's midterm time, so everything is coming due at once, which means I have been studying like crazy. I can actually report that I have been eating really well despite being busy; taking time to make proper meals has become a habit. 

Now I can get back to my mushroom series! Here is the second to last recipe from my Kitchen Pride selection. I actually made this a while ago, but now I finally have time to post it. The inspiration for this recipe is classic mushroom risotto, but I wanted to cut out the grains and make this a low-carb Primal side dish (although you could serve this as a main course for two, with a salad on the side). Because I cut grains from my diet, I haven't had risotto, an Italian rice dish, in a long time. The cauliflower rice-based recipe is a great substitute because the mushrooms add enough flavor so that the cauliflower flavor doesn't come to the forefront too much. Besides swapping out the cauliflower, I kept to the traditional ingredients like white wine and Parmesan cheese. You could use any mushrooms for this recipe, but I used white button mushrooms because they are light in color; sometimes mushrooms with dark gills can darken light-colored food. The only other major difference in the addition of cream. Normal risotto relies on the starch of the rice to thicken the dish and make it creamy, and because cauliflower doesn't have starch I had to "cheat" by adding cream. If you have been craving a creamy, savory, and unique side dish for an elegant dinner, I hope you will consider trying this!


Primal Mushroom "Caulisotto"
Printable Recipe

1 tbsp butter
1 large shallot, minced
1 8-oz package white button mushrooms, coarsely chopped
2 tbsp dry white wine
2 tbsp chicken or vegetable stock
1 medium head of cauliflower, grated on the coarse side of a box grater
2 tbsp heavy cream
3 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
pinch of minced parsley
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook until tender.
2. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until soft.
3. Add the wine and stock and cook down over medium-high heat until all the liquid has evaporated.
4. Stir in the grated cauliflower and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but not mush.
5. Blend in the cream, Parmesan, and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately, garnished with more Parmesan.
  • Servings per recipe: 4
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 117.4
  • Fat: 7.2 g
  • Saturated fat: 4.3 g
  • Cholesterol: 20.9 mg
  • Sodium: 177.3 mg
  • Carbohydrate: 10.4 g
  • Fiber: 3.9 g
  • Sugars: 0.5 g
  • Protein: 5.7 g

5 comments:

  1. Useful information ..I am very happy to read this article..thanks for giving us this useful information. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post. soft toys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to read your blog on this website. different experience to read this blog. i get some awesome information throw this article.soft toys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great post, Thank you for sharing This knowledge.Excellently written article, if only all bloggers offered the same level of content as you, the internet would be a much better place. Please keep it up!soft toys

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! Would be a great dish with a salad, you could even try sneaking this past the kids to get the veggies down them! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It has a nice creamy, cheesy taste so it probably would be a good one to feed the kiddos!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails