Mushroom Series: Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Portabella Mushroom-Onion Gravy


It's the middle of the semester and naturally I'm swamped with work. I have to come on here and post, however, because cooking and blogging are a source of stress relieving for me! I also have to continue my mushroom series, and the next recipe, a pot roast with mushroom gravy, are effortless and if you have been as busy as I have been, then this is a great meal for you. I love coming home to the aroma of the slow cooker because even though I put in a little effort in the morning, overall I'm not putting a lot of time in the meal yet it tastes like it did.

For this recipe I was lucky enough to snag a grass-fed rump roast on sale at Sprouts. Because I didn't have time to prepare a roast in the oven the traditional way, I used my slow cooker and seasoned the meat with one of my Kitchen Pride portabella mushroom caps, a big onion, red wine, and a variety of herbs. While most slow cooker meals smell amazing when you step in the door, this one smelled particularly inviting. I actually ran back to my car and left the door of my apartment open and could smell the aroma of the meat out in the parking lot! The meat was perfectly tender, but what made the meat more special was I pureed the mushrooms and onions in the cooking liquid with my immersion blender right in the crock of the slow cooker. This recipe makes a generous amount of gravy to pour on the meat and any vegetables you might be serving. Because the gravy is basically pureed vegetables, it's much easier to put together than a traditional starch-thickened gravy.



Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Portabella Mushroom-Onion Gravy
Printable Recipe

1 1.75-2 lb beef rump roast, preferably grass-fed
1 large portabella mushroom (as an optional step, remove the gills for a lighter-colored gravy)
1 large onion, peeled and cut into chunks
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dried crushed rosemary
8 oz dry red wine (can use broth instead)
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Add all the ingredients to your slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 6-8 hours.
2. Remove the cooked roast from the pan, leaving all the vegetables and cooking juices at the bottom. Tent the roast with foil to keep it warm while you make the sauce.
3. To make the sauce, puree the mixture by inserting an immersion blender into the crock of the slow cooker and blending until the sauce is smooth. Or, you can remove the cooking liquid and vegetables to a blender or food processor and pureeing until smooth. Either way, taste the puree and make sure it is seasoned well. Serve the sauce over the meat and any vegetables you might be serving on the side.

Labels: , , , , , , ,