Spiced Pumpkin Yogurt Breakfast Bowl


Happy Halloween! I had to come up with something with pumpkin in it to celebrate Halloween and fall. I love pumpkin, and lately I have been adding in more Greek yogurt into my meals for extra protein, so the combination came together naturally. I checked to see if anyone else had come up with this combination, and I found inspiration on the blog Eating Bird Food. I changed the proportions to suit my taste and changed the toppings to reflect more fall flavors. I like to have crunchy toppings on my yogurt, and Fuji apples, pumpkin seeds, and pecans provide texture and a sweet-yet-savory element. I tried the recipe with fat free Greek yogurt, but my favorite is actually a combination of equal proportions of Voskos regular plain and their fat-free plain. I like their fat-free because it has a lot more protein than the full-fat, but the full-fat helps keep me fuller longer, so I get the best of both worlds by combining them. My favorite fat-free Greek yogurt is Fage because it has the same texture as full-fat Greek yogurt. You can choose whichever you prefer; for the calorie count of this one I used the 1:1 ratio of Voskos.


Spiced Pumpkin Yogurt Breakfast Bowl
Printable Recipe

6 oz Greek yogurt (I used 3 oz each Voskos plain and Voskos fat-free)
4 tbsp pure pumpkin puree
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice, plus a little sprinkling for garnish
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
stevia to taste, (optional)
several drops pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup finely diced apple, such as Fuji
1 tbsp chopped pecans (I used ones I collected myself)
1 tsp pumpkin seeds (I used nuts.com sprouted pumpkin seeds)

1. In a small bowl, fold the yogurt, pumpkin, spices, stevia, and vanilla together.
2. Top the pumpkin yogurt mixture with apple, pecans, and pumpkin seeds. Garnish with a small sprinkling of pumpkin pie spice. Serve immediately.



Labels: , , , , , ,