On a side note, I realize some of my photos in recent posts have been sort of grainy. It took me a while to figure out what was wrong, but a setting had been altered on my camera and I needed to fix it!
Grain-Free Chicken Cordon Bleu
4 large chicken breasts
4 oz Swiss cheese (I used Kerrygold Irish Swiss)
4 oz deli ham, cut thin but not shaved (4 large slices cut in half or 8 small slices; look for a lower sodium and/or nitrite-free ham)
4 tsp Dijon mustard
4 tsp olive oil
1 tsp dried tarragon
black pepper and salt, to taste
special equipment: small trussing skewers or tooth picks
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut the cheese into .5 oz batons. Wrap each baton with a piece of ham like a burrito. It's ok if the ham doesn't totally cover.
3. Using a small paring knife, make a small cut about half an inch wide and parallel to the cutting surface on the rounded side of the chicken breast. Try to make the cut closer to the top third of the side of the breast. Use the knife to make a pocket on the inside of the breast reaching all sides but not puncturing through the bottom or sides. Use your fingers to help you make the pocket.
4. For each chicken breast, stuff two cheese and ham pieces inside. If the ham becomes slightly unwrapped or tears it's ok. Press the pocket closed and use a skewer to secure by weaving it through a couple of times.
5. Blend the mustard, oil, and some pepper together. Brush the outsides of the meat with the mustard mixture. Sprinkle some salt, if desired, and the tarragon on top.
6. Bake the chicken for 40 min or until a meat thermometer registers at least 160 degrees F.
7. Remove the chicken and allow it to rest 5 min before cutting it into slices, revealing the stuffing, and serve.
- Servings per recipe: 6
- Per serving: 6
- Calories: 313.3
- Fat: 12.7 g
- Saturated fat: 4.9 g
- Cholesterol: 122.3 mg
- Sodium: 451.3 mg
- Carbohydrate: 0.8 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Sugars: 0.7 g
- Protein: 44.6 g