Sunday, February 17, 2013

Green Smoothie with Strawberries, Flax Seeds and Greek Yogurt


If you've been following me on Facebook, you might have noticed that many of my status updates are centered around green smoothies. I've been really busy at work the past two or three weeks, and I started drinking smoothies for breakfast because I was concerned about not taking enough time to get plenty of fruits and veggies. I had been making a lot of banana-based smoothies, but I think I do better limiting myself to a few bananas a week. I personally do better with non-tropical fruits like berries and apples, especially if I plan to have the smoothies for breakfast. For a long time I have been avoiding smoothies for breakfast because I usually have a mid-morning crash and feel extremely hungry. I blamed this on the sugar content from the fruit, so I tried adding protein powder, which didn't help much at keeping me hungry and I found them to taste gross. I have realized now that it's not so much the sugar content or lack of protein in the smoothie that makes me crash or feel super hungry, it's lack of fat. I have been adding seeds, nuts, and avocados to my smoothies and it has helped with my satiation; I don't need a mid-morning snack to keep me going until lunch.

This morning I made a green smoothie with spinach and strawberries. For some fat, I added flax seeds, which also add a nice nutty flavor, and Greek yogurt. The yogurt's tang, the sweetness from the strawberries, and the vanilla from the almond milk are enough to completely mask the flavor of the spinach. This smoothie isn't even that green, so it would be a great one to start out with if you are leery of green smoothies. The yogurt adds nice creaminess, too. The flavor reminds me of strawberry shortcake!

Green Smoothie with Strawberries, Flax Seeds and Greek Yogurt
Printable Recipes

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup Greek yogurt (I like whole milk yogurt)
1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen strawberries (frozen if you like a milk shake consistency)
2 loosely-packed cups baby spinach
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
stevia, or other sweetener of choice, to taste (optional)

1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Makes 1 main-course serving or two servings to accompany breakfast.
  • Servings per recipe: 1
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 313.7
  • Fat: 16.2 g
  • Saturated fat: 6.3 g
  • Cholesterol: 25 mg
  • Sodium: 296.1 mg
  • Carbohydrate: 38.2 g
  • Fiber: 8.2 g
  • Sugars: 23.8 g
  • Protein: 9.1 g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails