Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Sugar Snap Peas with Peppers, Onions, and Almonds


I recently joined a friend while she was shopping at Sam's wholesale club, and walked out with huge bags of fresh veggies. At the time I bought them, I thought I was being such a good money saver, and then I got home and realized I had a 2 lb bag of broccoli, a pound of sugar snap peas, plus other greens and had no idea how to prepare them in enough ways to keep them interesting. Besides just steaming, roasting, and tossing the veggies in salads, I mixed them with other veggies to make stir-fry side dishes. I have learned that the best way to cook snap peas is to first blanch or steam them, then add them to the stir-fry. Otherwise, I find they don't cook evenly in the pan and the ones that do overcook burst open and release the peas into the mixture, which I don't think looks nice. I like how colorful this mix was and it had a nice slightly sweet flavor. Different vegetables that would be a nice substitute for one of the peppers would be bamboo shoots or water chestnuts.

By the way, that 2 lb bag of broccoli wasn't enough to make me sick of broccoli for the rest of my life, thankfully :)

Sugar Snap Peas with Peppers, Onions, and Almonds
Printable Recipe

2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
1/2 medium onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp coconut aminos or wheat-free tamari
1 lb sugar snap peas, steamed or blanched until crisp-tender
6 tbsp chopped, slivered, or sliced unsalted almonds
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and peppers and cook until crisp-tender over medium to medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute for about 30 sec to a minute or until fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
2. Toss the coconut aminos or tamari on the peppers and onions, then add the steamed or blanched peas. Saute until the peas are coated with the aminos or tamari and any juices rendered from the vegetables. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the almonds and serve.
  • Servings per recipe: 6
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 110.4
  • Fat: 7.4 g
  • Saturated fat: 4.2
  • Cholesterol: 0 mg
  • Sodium: 113.4 mg
  • Carbohydrate: 9.5 g
  • Fiber: 2.8 g
  • Sugars: 1.9 g
  • Protein: 3.3 g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails