Two of my most favorite Paleo meatloaf recipes are BoarBaconlicious Meatloaf from Delightful Tastebuds and Egg-Free, Tomato-Free (Hidden Liver) Paleo Meatloaf from The Paleo Mom. I used both these recipes as an inspiration for a stuffing for bell peppers. For some reason, colored bell peppers at the grocery store closest to me are very expensive, but occasionally they have sales. I like using them for stuffed peppers because they are basically a meal in one. I think the flavor of these peppers is really elegant because of the richness of the liver and the splash of red wine in the sauce. This idea may sound a bit kitschy, but if you get red and green peppers, these could be a pretty main course for the holidays.
Hidden Liver Stuffed Peppers
4 bell peppers, any color
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1/2 lb calf or beef liver, pureed until smooth
1 medium stalk celery, finely diced
3 scallions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp low-sodium tomato paste
1 1/2 tbsp unfiltered apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp coconut flour
1 tbsp coconut aminos or low-sodium wheat-free tamari
1/2 tbsp black strap molasses
1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1 1/2 tsp roasted chicken seasoning, or seasoning mix of choice
a few dashes black pepper
8 oz low-sodium tomato sauce
1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
2 tbsp red wine
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Split the peppers from top to bottom to make two halves for each one. Remove the seeds, white pith, and the stem.
3. Blend the ingredients from the beef through the black pepper. Can be done the night before, stored in a non-reactive bowl, and stored in the refrigerator.
4. Blend the tomato sauce, broth, and wine and pour into the bottom of a 13"x9" non-reactive pan.
5. Divide the meat mixture evenly into eighths and stuff the peppers. Place the peppers in the pan meat-side up. Cover the pan with foil or lid and bake 40 min. Remove the cover, baste the peppers with pan sauce, and bake 20 min uncovered or until the meat is completely cooked. Baste at least one more time as the peppers cook uncovered. Allow the peppers to rest 10 min before serving.
- Servings per recipe: 8
- Per serving:
- Calories: 321.4
- Fat: 19.5
- Saturated fat: 7.8 g
- Cholesterol: 176 mg
- Sodium: 537.2 mg
- Carbohydrate: 10.1 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Sugars: 2.1 g
- Protein: 25 g
Labels: beef, bell peppers, gluten-free, holidays, low-carb, main course, Paleo, Primal