Monday, February 10, 2014

Caramelized Onion and Sausage Egg Casserole

I made a big egg casserole with some sausages I got at my first trip to our new Costco (that place is awesome!). They're nitrite-free chicken apple sausages and I paired them with caramelized onions. I seasoned the eggs with sage, because sage and breakfast go together in my opinion. It's a delicious combination---sweet from the onions and apples and salty from the sausage. I wish I would have taken a picture of a slice of this so you could see the bits of caramelized onion and sausage, but it was so delicious I forgot!


Caramelized Onion and Sausage Frittata
Printable Recipe

2 tbsp butter or ghee, plus more for greasing the pan
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 lb sausage (I used Aidell's chicken apple sausage), chopped (can use any sausage of you liking)
12 large eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp dried ground sage
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for up to 45 min to caramelize them. Lower the heat and add a little water as needed to keep them from sticking. Remove to the side to cool.
2. Add the sausage to the saucepan the onions were cooked in and brown over medium heat.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and 11"x13" pan.
4. Add the onions, sausage, sage, and salt and pepper to taste to the beaten eggs. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake 35-40 min or until the center is set and the top and edge are golden brown. Rest 5 min before cutting and serving.
  • Servings per recipe: 6
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 331.7
  • Fat: 19.4 g
  • Saturated fat: 7.3 g
  • Cholesterol: 432.4 mg
  • Sodium: 544.1 mg
  • Carbohydrate: 13.8 g
  • Fiber: 1 g
  • Sugars: 7.9 g
  • Protein: 24.9 g

1 comment:

  1. Two of my favorite things - caramelized onion and sausages. Love it! Want it for breakfast tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails