Breakfast Sweet Potato Boats



Typically I start a post saying something like "sorry I haven't posted in a long time, I've been busy working on my dissertation." Well, I'm pleased to announce that I've finished my dissertation, defended it, and passed so I'm officially Dr. Plank! Now I just need to complete writing my publications, graduate, and land my dream job (not necessarily in that particular order). 


Now I have a little bit more free time. I had my first weekend of food prep in a few months. I've actually been subsisting on foods that I prepped earlier in the year and froze, which worked out really well. Now I'm ready to get back in the kitchen. This weekend, I prepped some Thai red curry (which I am getting pretty good at...I found the secret is to not add the coconut milk too soon, otherwise the coconut flavor will cook out!), some enchiladas verde---well, basically the insides of the enchiladas that I baked as a sort of casserole. Finally, I made a recipe I've been wanting to try for a while! I saw a post on Pinterest which featured bread boats filled with eggs, sausage, and cheese. I wanted to make a Paleo version with sweet potatoes, which worked out perfectly! The scooped out sweet potatoes make the perfect vessel for eggs and sausage. You could top them with cheese a few minutes before pulling them out of the oven if you want a Primal version. They're pretty convenient too because they re-heat well and you have your starchy carbs and protein all in one. You could use larger potatoes for bigger appetites, but you will just have to cook them longer. One thing to note is that cold pre-cooked sweet potatoes worked out really well, because they are easier to handle than a hot potato and they stay intact a lot better when you scoop them out compared to a hot sweet potato.

Breakfast Sweet Potato Boats
Printable Recipe

4 sweet potatoes, baked in the skin and cooled...choose ones that are smaller and more round as opposed to thin and long sweet potatoes
4 oz cooked and crumbled sausage
1 sliced scallions
4 eggs, beaten


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cut a thin horizontal slice off the top of each sweet potato. Using a spoon or melon baller, remove some of the sweet potato flesh, leaving about 1/3" rim inside to hold the egg mixture. Be careful not to pierce through the ends or bottom of the potato. Reserve the flesh for another use (instant side dish for dinner the next night!)
3. Blend the sausage and scallion with the eggs. Divide among the potato shells.
4. Bake 22-25 minutes,or until lightly brown on top and the eggs have set.

Labels: , , , , , , ,