Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Savory Roasted Root Vegetable Hash

I didn't realize it had been since February since I last posted. I've made many changes in my life, mainly taking a new job in California and thus finished my cross-country move that was 7 years in the making. I'd set an intention to move to California for at least a year now, and for the move to finally happen felt miraculous. My work started right away, so I hit the ground running, having barely moved into my apartment. The move-in process has been slow simply because I've been working so many hours and have spent much of my weekend hours exploring my new territory and working on writing. Therefore, I have had little time to cook. I've only had my oven on a few times in the 2 months I've been living here, which is pretty ridiculous. I'm on the lookout for new food inspiration and I'm going to set a goal of posting more often. It should be easy to find food inspiration because California has amazing produce...what could be more inspiring? Plus I've met many new people who have given me new meal inspiration, such as this special Guatamalan breakfast with plantains cooked in coconut oil, eggs, crema, homemade refried black beans, and avocado. This meal is the definition of "stick to your ribs."


Even though I regularly take photos of food, they are greatly outnumbered by photos of my travels for work. I'm fortunate to go to Sonoma on a weekly basis (heartbreaking, I know...). The Napa/Sonoma area is so beautiful it's surreal. Even dilapidated barns peeking through the early morning fog are enchanting. Every view is worthy of a photograph.


Most of my breakfasts are something quick while running out the door and finished while I'm driving to work. On a recent less-than-full-tilt weekend I prepared a full-on breakfast with Trader Joe's sweet basil pesto sausages, eggs, avocado sprinkled with a little sea salt, and crispy roasted root vegetable hash. The hash was inspired by the spice rack I recently purchased, which had savory on it. Savory is a pretty obscure herb that kind of smells like pizza to me, so I wanted to try and meld it with other herbs. I think avocado is a requisite accompaniment to go with this herbed mixture of sweet and regular potatoes.



Savory Roasted Root Vegetable Hash
Printable Recipe

1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
1 medium white or Japanese sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 medium red onion, diced
1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 tsp dried rubbed sage
1/2 tsp dried savory
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Toss all ingredients together and arrange on a baking tray (foil covered, if you wish).
3. Bake for 15 to 20 min, then toss. Continue cooking 15 to 20 min more, or until the outsides of the potatoes are crispy and the insides are tender.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails