Thursday, December 31, 2015

Ham and Potato Soup


2015 has come to a close. A lot of changes have happened this year, and 2016 already seems like it will be a whirlwind (in a good way!).

Things that have happened in 2015:
  • Turned 30 
  • Taught my first university class as "Dr. Plank"
  • Finished my cross-country move 7 years in the making (Georgia to Texas to California)
  • Published an article
  • Completed an internship at a huge winery
  • Started a new fitness program (21 Day Fix) 
  • Lost weight
  • Became a Beach Body coach
  • Had a lot of personal growth. I will be sharing my insights on Monday Musings
  • Found out that another one of my publications will be coming out next year!!
  • Basically followed my dreams, and I'm really proud of that
I already have one big change in store for 2016, and I'll be sharing that soon. I feel really hopeful for the new year. Though I don't want to name resolutions, I do have one big goal that I'd like to pursue. Basically, I want to get clear on what makes me happy, then do more things that make me happy.

A Facebook friend posted a picture that said you should write a list of things you do every day, then write a list of things that make you happy. Compare lists and adjust accordingly :) One thing that makes me happy that has been pretty absent from 2015 is blogging and coming up with recipes. I've been bogged down with my move and settling into a new place to live and work. While these things provide me happiness, blogging is missing from that list. I've got 307 drafts of recipes to post. 307 ideas that I just want to make happen in order to add to my happiness and to spark a little joy and creativity in your life. So it's my goal to add more content here. I already started Monday Musings, but I also want to share more recipes (of course), fitness, fashion, and food that I enjoy that's not necessarily a recipe per se. Just more of my life and adventures in general.

With that, I will end 2015 with a very humble recipe, Ham and Potato Soup, which used our leftover Christmas ham. This recipe is the epitome of warmth and comfort, which are great feelings to start the New Year with.

Ham and Potato Soup
Printable Recipe

4 tsp butter or olive oil
2 cups diced celery
2 cups diced onion
4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
6 cups chicken broth (basically enough to just cover the potatoes)
1 bay leaf
3 cups diced ham
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp dried sage
1/2 cup half-and-half or canned coconut milk (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste (I didn't add any salt)

1. In a stock pot, heat butter or oil over medium heat. Add celery and onion and cook until translucent.
2. Add potatoes and just enough broth to cover them, along with the bay leaf, and simmer, about 15 min.
3. Add ham and herbs and simmer 10 more min or until potatoes are fork tender. Mash with a potato masher, making some potatoes little chunks and some a complete mash. Add half-and-half and return to simmer. Season to taste with salt (probably won't need any) and pepper.

Makes 4 servings, which I counted according to the 21 Day Fix program as: 1 green1 yellow1/2 red1/2 blue1 tsp.




4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to more recipes! I just made your lemon-honey glazed pork tenderloin medallions and they were fantastic. What I love about your recipes is that they tend to be easy to prepare and use basic ingredients, but taste great! I look forward to making this soup this week. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doug and Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  2. I was lucky enough to get to eat a bowl of this delicious soup, and it will be going into my cookbook. This was wonderful and with some biscuits fresh out of the oven it is a "heart warming" way to end the day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails