Thursday, January 21, 2016

Paleo French-Style Salad Dressing


The week is going by way too fast. I have so many projects going on, and I have a hard time doing bits and pieces of them. I just want to dive in a cross them off my list. Maybe it's because I'm working on some fun projects.

Besides coming up with recipes, I'm preserving some memories in the form of a t-shirt quilt. Throughout my travels I've collected many Hard Rock Cafe t-shirts and I've worn them to the point that they have holes in the armpits. They have no use as items covering my body, so I cut them up and I'm going to sew them together into a quilt. I've never made a quilt before, and honestly several times during this process I've asked myself "why the hell am I doing this?" but I keep at it. Mainly because the shirts are ruined and there's no going back now...but it will be pretty awesome once it comes together.


Onto the recipe! It took a while to transition into, but when I dress salads now, I just drizzle on some oil and vinegar or lemon juice and sprinkle over salt and pepper and toss everything together. Simple. However every once and a while I crave the sweet bottled dressings I used to buy before I dedicated myself to not buying them anymore. One of my old favorites from when I was a kid was French dressing, particularly Kraft Catalina or Mullins French, which are sweet and tangy tomato-y dressings. I wanted to invent my own French dressing with whole ingredients.

I was inspired to add applesauce to the dressing because it's sweet and a little tart and because it adds a lot of body to the dressing without adding gums and stabilizers, like the bottled kind. I always keep little cups of applesauce in my pantry to add to baked goods. Lately I've been topping sweet potato waffles with applesauce and cinnamon instead of maple syrup, and it's a delicious combination! I had some extra applesauce in my fridge, so it was the perfect ingredient to provide most of the sweetness to the dressing.

This stuff was so good I was taking leaves of spinach and dipping them into the blender to scrape out the last little bits. Though it's been years since I dressed my salad with French dressing, this stuff is pretty close to how I remember it!


Paleo French-Style Salad Dressing
Printable Recipe

1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tbsp grated sweet onion
4 tsp honey
1/2 tsp yellow mustard
1 tbsp water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup avocado oil, or other light-tasting oil

1. Add all the ingredients except the oil to a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Remove the center of the blender lid, cover with a cloth, and turn on. Once the blender is running, slowing drizzle the oil through the opening in the lid. When the oil is emulsified, transfer the dressing to another container. Allow to chill at least 1 hour before serving so the flavors can meld.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails