Wednesday, January 20, 2016

What I Ate Wednesday: 21 Day Fix with Paleo Meals (1/20/2016)


I'm not sure why it's so fascinating, but I love reading about what people ate in a day on my favorite blogs. I think part of it is just non-recipe based inspiration. So foods that aren't part of a recipe, but are an interesting combination to add novelty to what I'm already eating.

I thought I'd create some of my own "what I ate in a day" posts, so today's my first What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW). A bit of background on how I've been eating: I started doing the 21 Day Fix in October because I wanted more guidance on portion control. Eating Paleo has gotten me a long way in terms of health, but there's so many interpretations as well as no prescribed fitness program. I did a lot of biohacking, trying different kinds of macros, especially dabbling in the keto and low-carb sector. But my sleep gets really disturbed when I go too low on carbs. I also was plateaued in my weight loss and I couldn't jump start it no matter what macros I tried. I was tired of guessing, so I ordered the 21 Day Fix program, which uses simple containers and a 30-min/per day exercise program, so a lot of the guess work was taken care of. The scale started moving, and I starting seeing non-scale goals, like increased strength and baggy clothes. 


I'm happy that I could fit Paleo and 21 Day Fix together. Both focus on whole foods, I just have a little less selection for the yellow container (carbohydrates). I mostly stick to yams and sweet potatoes, but occasionally I eat Paleo grey-area carbs, like quinoa and white potatoes. Since starting, I decided to become a Beach Body coach so I can support others on their fitness journey. Now I've switched to the new Hammer and Chisel workout program, and I really love it! I'm in the middle of week 2 and I've seen a rapid increase in strength. I'm subbing resistance bands for the pull-up bar, and I've already had to bump up the band to a thicker one in just a week!

So now that I've given that background, here's what I ate in a day:

Last night I went shopping at Grocery Outlet. I'm not sure if they have them in other places besides California, but you can get so many deals on high-quality, organic foods! Breakfast was two nitrate-free sausages, an egg, and leftover baked sweet potatoes that I cubed and cooked in a little olive oil. I also had some raspberry tea.

1 red, 1 yellow, 1 tsp 














My morning snack was an apple and grass-fed cheddar cheese.

1 blue, 1 purple




Lunch was a salad with different veggies, chicken breast, and a new salad dressing recipe that'll be on the blog soon!

2 green, 1 red, 1 orange



I was still a little bit hungry after my salad, so I had a pear and my last 3 teaspoons of the day, with sunflower seed butter. I also had one of my favorite herbal teas from Stash.

1 purple, 3 tsp





My workout of the day was Chisel Agility, so lots of jumping around, but in a fun way. Working out in the afternoon is best for me. I feel like my mind is really into it.

After my workout I got a dose of protein with strawberry Shakeology blended with frozen mango and unsweetened vanilla coconut milk (carton-style).

1 red, 1 purple, 1 yellow




Dinner wasn't planned, I just threw together what I had. I made a stir-fry with onion, spiralized carrot, celery, green beans, and shrimp. I seasoned it with minced garlic, Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, and a mixture of about 1 tbsp each water and wheat-free tamari with about a teaspoon each honey and arrowroot powder. After everything was cooked, I dumped the sauce on and stir-fried it for a minute or so for the starch to glaze everything. On the side I had more leftover sweet potatoes.

2 green, 1 red, 1 yellow


That's it for my meals! Comment below if you enjoy this new addition to the blog and if they inspire you to try new food combinations.

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails