Friday, April 1, 2016

What I Ate Wednesday: 21 Day Fix with Paleo Meals (3/30/16)


Hey everyone! Happy April Fools! I can't believe it's been a whole month since I posted a WIAW. Since then, I started to get settled in my new job and town. I've actually taken pics every Wednesday of what I ate, but I never make the post promptly enough so I think it's too stale to post. But I'm back with Paleo meals using recipes from two of my favorite cookbooks, the 21 Day Sugar Detox cookbook by Diane Sanfilippo and Well Fed by Mel Joulwan. I love these books because the recipes are all sugar free, use whole ingredients, and are all delicious. I've noticed some sugar creeping back into my diet in the form of a little honey and maple syrup here and there. They may be better options than white sugar, but as one of my favorite podcast hosts, Vinnie Tortorich would say, you liver doesn't know the difference between sugar and honey or maple syrup. So I'm getting that stuff out of my diet and saving it for an occasional sweet treat. Honey and maple syrup may be more whole sweeteners, but they don't belong in my diet every day.

On Sunday I prepped a breakfast stir-fry of Trader Joe's garlic herb chicken sausages (no sugar in the ingredients), peppers, onions, and potatoes. I started adding an extra red container every day, and it's really helped with my energy levels and recovery. I eat 2 reds every morning at breakfast now. I had 2 over easy eggs cooked in a teaspoon of cultured butter. The picture is a little blurry because the food was steaming up my camera!

2 red, 1 yellow, 1 green, 1 tsp



Mid-morning I had chocolate shakeology in almond milk and a little water and two ugly tangerines that tasted divine. I'm not sure which variety these tangerines are. I got them from Whole Foods...not sure if you can get them nationally. The rind looks less than appealing but they are really flavorful and juicy.

1 red, 1 yellow, 1 purple



Lunch was Italian Sausage and Peppers from the 21 Day Sugar Detox cookbook plus roasted potatoes with lots of herbs, and a green apple. Teaspoons are from the coconut oil I cooked the potatoes and sausage in.

1 green, 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 purple, 2 tsp



I didn't need a mid-afternoon snack so I waited until dinner and had a salad with tuna on top that I mixed with Creamy Italian dressing made from the Well Fed bookbook. I chopped some rosemary marcona almonds from Trader Joe's and sprinkled them on top. I ate outside on the porch that I need to sweep, apparently...

2 green, 1 red, 1 orange, 1 blue



I finished the day with a cup of strawberries. It's so nice to have delicious strawberries so early in the season! I needed 1 teaspoon to complete my containers for the day but I felt pretty satisfied so I didn't see the point in eating it.

1 purple


Some days I have an extra blue if my energy is really dipping. I'm on week 3 of Hammer & Chisel, and I have been increasing the weights a lot so some days I feel like I need a little more food and follow their advice. An extra red (protein) or green (veg) is good for hunger, and blue (healthy fats) and purple (fruit) are good for fatigue. I tend to do well on higher fat and protein because they are good for stabilizing my blood sugar, so I choose protein first, and if that doesn't work, I also add fat. I've also been experimenting with workout time. As much as I can't stand working out in the morning for many reasons (an hour less sleep, less coordination, and my lifting is a little compromised), I feel super energized afterwards. Ugh, I guess I'll get up and get it over with. The good thing is, when I get home from work I can relax and do whatever because my workout is done.

2 comments:

  1. Everything looks so good that it is making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Going to make that Creamy Italian tonight! The salad looks right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails